View Single Post
      12-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
OK so PM me a link to snow tires that I can purchase please. The best ones. Cause its coming down hard and Im freaking out. Im gonna leave for work 45 mins early now and just drive slow.
I've driven RWD with no traction control or stability control for many years in Minnesota. It's not hard. You do need to practice reacting to oversteer (the tail coming out). Go to an open parking lot, make some turns under moderate/hard throttle and practice reacting. Come off the throttle and countersteer. Make it instinctual. I've never driven a car with traction control or stability control, so I don't even know how far the systems will let the tail go.....

In my opinion, ALL vehicles (AWD, FWD or RWD) should have winter tires in snowy areas.

As for the best, it depends on what you value. The tires with the best traction in the snow/ice are studded. Do you want studded tires? In metro SLC, it's probably not necessary. Although if you hit the mountains often, it might be a good idea.

For studdless, the best traction in ice/snow would be the Michelin X-Ice Xi2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 or Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. The price you pay for good snow/ice traction is squsihy performance on the dry pavement.

To get better dry pavemenbt performance, stick with a "performance" winter tire like the Michlein Pilot/Primacy Alpin PA3, Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, Continental ContiWinterContactTS810

And yes, buy a full wheel & tire set that you can just bolt on/off as the seasons change.
Appreciate 0