08-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
I read up about what you are saying in regards to finding an identical hard drive and swapping the parts. I was thinking of seeing if I could find another one to do that.

I have some work files on the computer that I would hate to lose, but its not the end of the world. Would also lose all my emails, contact info, passwords, and music archives. It would hurt not to get this info back...but if it can't happen then so be it.

I am not willing to spend hundreds to a thousand dollars for a company to fix it thats for sure, so ill look around for quotes first.

Thanks for the input!

How hard do you think it would be if I found another hard drive and did a swap myself on the parts?

It was my main and only hard drive on my home desktop, so I havent tried it as a slave drive. I think ill bring it to work tomorrow and give it a shot on one of the computers in the office!
Have you heard of ontrack data recovery software?

If you can slave the drive to another computer, run ontrack and see if it can read/detect the disk.

The drive may not be bootable, but the files should be still written in memory. Of course this only applies if the software can detect and read the data from the cylinders etc.
Appreciate 0