View Single Post
      02-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #104
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethism View Post
Oh, if only it was down to odds. My 2006 Matrix also had a failed ECU at 23,000 miles. Within 3 days of the Corolla fail. I had both of my new Toyotas on the back of the same tow truck. Those were the last two Toyotas I will ever own.
What do you mean if only it was down to odds? Of course it is down to odds. The odds of having a problem with any car is greater than 0%, so it's not impossible that you had problems with your Toyotas. There's someone winning a lotto every week you know.

But that doesn't mean all probabilities greater than 0% are equal. Anecdotes about "oh my Toyota/Honda/Lexus also had problems" mean nothing, because they are mere anecdotes. The fact is that statistically, BMWs are significantly less reliable than the mainstream Japanese cars, and the 335i especially so.

This reminds me of the Daily Show report couple years back on a high school teacher who believed that the LHC particle collider would create a black hole and destroy the earth.

John Oliver: "What do you think the chances are that the LHC will destroy the earth?"
Idiot: "I'd say 50%."
J.O: "How do you figure?"
Idiot: "Because it could happen, or it could not happen."

Yeah.
Appreciate 0