06-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Thanks for all of the great information!!!!!! You reinforced everything that I have learned throughout the past couple of weeks plus some. When it comes down to it, I am pretty set on a previous model year RXT 260. I wouldn't need any of the suspension business because I would be doing all non warranty work myself and it seems like it will be easier to do so without the suspension. Also, I am young so I can handle getting beaten up a bit. S3 hull def looks like a must have and from everything I have read/heard, your comparison of sea doo vs yamaha seems completely accurate.

Supercharger -> 100%

Unfortunately I won't be able to pull the trigger on something until next year but now I am really excited to do so.

Again, thanks for all of the great information. I'll take a look at the videos when I get home (work computers block youtube/pandora etc...)
Buy in September or October right after the season ends. I got 3k off of the ski and got the trailer at half price. Just get a standard galvanized trailer. You don't need a fancy trailer for a Jet Ski. The Seadoo I-Catch trailer is a rip off and many skis have fallen off of it. Just rinse the trailer down after every use and keep and eye on the buddy bearings. Don't buy a jet ski without the extended warranty. I paid 16k out the door on what would have costed me around 20k if I had bought it in boat shopping time. After every salt water ride, you want to lightly rinse down the engine, then apply Sedoo XPS spray protectant to all exterior metal surfaces and coat the entire engine with it. This alone will greatly extend the skis life. Make sure you get a bilge pump installed ASAP when you get one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I recently picked up a 2005 GP1300 R. It's a 2 stroke. The hull design is second to none even for it's age. Anyone in the industry knows the GP1300R is in it's own class. Reliability, modability, hull design, weight. It's the perfect ski for almost anyone looking to go fast and do it fairly inexpensive. Out of the box it did 63 MPH (GPS). It's now doing 67 MPH and I've only changed the ride plate, stepped the sponsons, and intake grate. (Also D plate / Cat Delete). <-- A must in any 2 stroke jet ski. I plan on doing a prop and maybe EFI controller to get it up to 70 MPH (GPS).

You will notice i say GPS a lot of because all Jet Ski speedo's are incorrect. If its not verified by GPS Speed it's not legit.

My Sea Doo XP was my favorite ski. It was extremely light. I had a Prop and intake grate and she did 62 MPH (GPS). However, it's intention was never for top speed. It was very nimble. I could duck dive or simply pop straight up and down out of the water. Turned on a dime. The 0-30 acceleration time was unbeatable by even todays 4 Stroke supercharged jet skis.

Typically sea doo are unreliable especially the new supercharged models as they are costly to repair and maintain as they get older. This sea doo xp however was very reliable and it is known the jet ski world as it's own class. There is a strong following of these jet skis because of how strong the engine is and the hull design in general.

Buying New:

If I had to buy a new ski I was leaning towards the Kawi 300R or the Sea doo RXT 260. The price tag all said and done was not appealing to me. I could by 3 of my GPR1300 ski's for the price of one of those and I could keep up with them on the water for little money. Granted a new ski is nice and a warranty is great but at nearly $17000 out of the door with tax tile and registration it was not worth it.

IF you are buying used stick with a newer 4 stroke. If you want to roll the dice you can go with a used supercharged model but you will can run into some expensive head aches depending on the hours on the ski. I would still say avoid Sea Doo unless they are new with warranty. Therefore I always recommend newer yamaha or Kawi.
The superchargers in the skis right now are great if you keep your ski on a proper maintenance schedule. If you are riding a supercharged ski, just make sure you let off the throttle if you do get the back end out of the water. If you don't do this, over time your supercharger will start to slip and lose some performance. My RXT 260 has never failed me or given me any trouble at all and I ride in the ocean. What was your 0-30 time? I'm getting a 1.7-8 0-30 on my RXT 260 IS. The Seadoo speedo's are now using GPS for speed. I could get my ski up to around 80 with a new ride plate, intake grate, and a tune but the extended warranty is the last thing I want to void.

Last edited by Otruba_843; 06-25-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0