02-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #76
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweasel View Post
Cheers to KrashFinatik and everyone else for adding to this DIY thread. Weather has been warm yesterday, so I attempted this job - i'm now at the 1/2 way point (oil pan is out - needs to be cleaned)

I thought I would add some impressions and seek council.

The most difficult part of this job has been getting the oil pan out - I had to really wiggle around the subframe, and it eventually shimmied out - but not without a lot of frustration. (wheels are off, support bar from harbor freight is at maximum height)
I didn't remove the plastic coolant line that runs across the front of the subframe - I'll check/remove this morning and see if i get a few more inches of clearance.

The dreaded oil return line! (I have a manual transmission N52). It took 2 swift hits with a flat screwdriver and ball-peen hammer and it came off - BUT - a plastic tab/clip from inside the oil return connector came flying off as well from the opposite side (i hit oil return line on the left, the tab came off on the right). The integrity of the oil return head is in tact, it appears to be one of the 4 clips that secures the oil return line to the oil pan tube. It's something I'll check for leaking after everything is back in place. If anyone has experience with this and recommends I remove the intake manifold and change oil return line please let me know.

Again, thanks for this DIY!
Disassemble the plastic heater hose line running across the front of the subfame. It is affixed to the subframe by two torx bolts along the front and one torx bolt on the drivers side. It will let the subframe drop much farther and move around a lot more. Also jack the engine up as far as it will go in the front. Once you do those two things you'll have plenty of room to put the pan back in.

On the oil return line, did the clip break or just fly off somewhere?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0