View Single Post
      01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
It's possible to build some screaming fast cars using hybrid technology. Porsche has developed a flywheel based energy storage system that really works. The question is cost. Try to imagine a turbocharged four of 250 hp driving a boot mounted 200 hp flywheel system connected to a pair of 100 hp electric motors driving the front wheels. That is 450 hp total, with very high torque at launch.

The increased wheelbase (and probably track) of the 3 series will put it in the next higher size class where the mileage requirements are slightly less

Cars like the 135i face the biggest challenge. I have this bad feeling the 2013 US/2012 EU 1'ers will not offer the inline 6.

The non turbocharged 6 and the N55 are about to become history, along with anything else without a turbocharger. The present DCT in use is wet clutch. Dry clutch versions are more efficient, but limited in the torque that they can handle. Expect the wet clutch DCT to be limited to a few performance models.

This is what happens when car makers make vehicles that the government demands, not what the consumers want. It means more expensive cars for us (all that R&D cost gets passed on to us), and fewer choices.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0