11-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #3261
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Going from very little to none is always nice. You'll see it.

About the body/lens correction. Each body has a different sensor/filter/processor combination. Unlike film, you don't start with a sharp image and try to preserve it. The digital image is often filter first and then reconstructed in the camera. With the same lens, some bodies will show purple fringing and moire' in certain situation, that would never happen with film or even another digital body. The 5D MkII had a bad purple fringing problem when first introduced and Canon fixed that with a firmware update.

The bodies are getting more and more sophisticated and many actually make corrections in the JPEG files that are lens-dependent, rather than applying the same corrections to all lenses. Taking a Raw file outside the camera, it will not have those same corrections applie. The uninformed may say, "My JPEGs look better than my Raw files" and they'd be right, because they're not processing their Raw files correctly.

I think that Digital Photo Professional has correction for both your 17mm and you 8-15mm. I'd suggest checking to see if they do and trying it to see what differences it makes. With the 8-15mm the differences should be substantial and with the 17mm they'll still be visible. If you still have the 24-105mm, you'll be totally blown away by the improvement you get from applying DLO.

I too was torn between the 14mm rectilinear and the 15mm fisheye. I went with the 15 because I was happy with my de-fishing software results. I predict that with the 17mm in your bag, you'll hardly touch the 14mm.

Dave
Agreed improved quality is worth it even if a little bit.

I am going to look into DPP. I've gotten lazy since I have been using Lightroom; don't like to venture out of it unless I have to (like for merging layers in Photoshop). So I'm likely not getting the most out of my files.

I do still have the 24-105mm; the distortion is surmountable with basic correction in LR5, so if DPP makes even more out of it I'll be happy. One thing that annoys me to heck with this lens is it vignettes at the wide end if I slap a CPL on it (or if I stack 2 filters it's worse). It is also the lens I use with my Lee system, which I used to be able to stick on top of a CPL with the 10-22 and not vignette; with the 24-105 that's impossible without going to 30mm or so, or not using the CPL. Although one of my all time best/favorite landscape shots was with the 24-105 and GND filters, so I can't complain. Note that I posted that shot completely unedited straight from the 6D, and you can see the curvature in the horizon. Need to go back and fix that.

I think you're right about the 14. Partly why I went with the 8-15 fisheye this time around, as it was different enough vs. the 14mm. The 17mm comes with me no matter what type of shooting I plan on doing - landscape, architecture, the motorcycle stuff (for the pits)...

One more fisheye from last night for the snapshot:

Skyball by ddk632, on Flickr
Appreciate 0