04-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #39
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
I'd love to see a back to back dyno test with a well run-in engine versus a "Drove it like you stole it" engine - but both after 50k miles.
... and then ask them both what work they've had to have done and how much oil the engine drinks.

Modern engines do last under extreme driving. I cringed when I was with one of our service guys on a trip to Holland. Every morning he'd fire the car up drive out of the hotel and straight onto the motorway, foot full down reving until the redline in each gear less than 30seconds after starting the engine. That car did over 120,000miles before it went back, but was drinking oil by the end of it's days and felt just plain tired.

Equally another engineer who ran his car in gently, always let it warm up, would then rev it, but change gear smoothly and generally treat the car with respect finished up with a car that felt almost as good as new after more than 100000 miles and which drank no oil.

Whilst you can get away with early abuse, you'll get the best life out of an engine by treating it properly all the time, not just running it in. Having paid a heap of money for the car look after it

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0