09-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon9509 View Post
Apologies in advance—I have some basic questions that I know are probably obvious to most of the folks on this forum. But the answers will help me and perhaps others as well.
I just sold a 4-year-old Subaru STI that drove hard and loved and bought a 335xi with the sport package and auto transmission, no less. Don’t ask—it keeps peace in the home, as my wife can drive it.
1. It came with 17” run-flats. I’m getting rid of them and going with separate summer and winter tires. For summer, what are the advantages and disadvantages of going from 17” to 18” wheels/tires? Likewise what are the advantages of going to the slightly larger rear tires? I’m looking at Potenza RE-01Rs
2. BMW sells a “performance” exhaust system and cold air intake. Is it really going to make much difference in, say, low-end torque?
3. Will the KW v3 suspension work ok with the above tires? Am I gaining much in the way of better handling (which the car could use)?
4. Are there any other mods I should be considering?
Again, thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I appreciate it.
FWIW I have an 08 335xi 6MT sedan with cold weather and sport package w/18" wheels.

The 18" wheels with run flat hit extremely hard on potholes. I was shocked to get my first jolt from them. The wheels look good and minor bumps don't seem to register bad but moderate and larger bumps hit shockingly hard.

My previous car was an infiniti G35X sedan w/17" wheels and it handled bumps much better. Small bumps felt about the same on both cars. larger bumps, there's no comparison. I wish I knew how much of that was 17" vs 18" wheels, different suspensions and runflats but I can't comment on that yet.

I've not yet modified my car much (shifter, removed CDV, oil catch can going in soon) yet but the collective wisdom seems to be:

1) Intakes (ok, air filters): next to no gain on a stock car.
2) Exhaust. YMMV. not worth it on stock car unless for sound/style purposes.
3) chip/tune: If you owned a Suby you know what these can do. Well worth the $ if you want more power.
4) I wish I could afford the KWs. $3000 installed is a lot of dough though. Not worth it for me with a lease car. Postcard looks nice.

BB
Appreciate 0