11-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #223
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
It cost me $200 at a local muffler/brake place. If you live in an area where more shops exist (as I said earlier, this shop was my 3rd pick) then you may get a better price.

When he opened the driver-side muffler, there was no packing. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. But he removed 75% of the packing from the passenger-side muffler. He just cut a hole in the top like some of the pictures have shown and removed the packing.

Also, if you do not have a golf-tee mod (and no JB4) then the exhaust will be a good deal quieter, when I pulled the actuator harness plug, it got noticeably louder at idle.
Since we now know that the packing is only one one side, it will probably be cheaper for people to have this done since the muffler shop will not have to cut into both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
Sered, the exhaust sounds great. I wonder if it would sound just as good with stock downpipes and all packing removed.
Downpipes make a huge difference. If you were to remove all of the packing, the exhaust might only be marginally louder. Just a thought...
Appreciate 0