06-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

Just based off of your description of what you're doing, you're already doing something wrong. What you're attempting to do, is maximize your equipment's capabilities instead of your braking technique. While this will technically allow you to brake harder, it won't necessarily make you FASTER. I'm going to say a few things that, while it won't be the most sugar coated opinion, it's about as close to truth as e-pinions are going to get. At 3-5 events, you may think you're threshold braking, but you're not. You are just light enough on your foot to not activate ABS. You'll eventually find that "threshold braking" means more than finding that one point prior to ABS engaging...it's hard to describe with words, all I can tell you is that when properly done, you can practically be putting your foot through the floor and ABS won't kick-in. It's not something you learn in 3 events, trust me. The fact you're diving much deeper than your intermediate group-mates means you're just braking later but not harder. It's hard to comprehend, but in reality you can brake harder, in a shorter span, earlier in the brake zone and be FASTER through a turn. If you're telling me you're braking earlier than any of your intermediate group-mates, then there's some positive foundations to build on. It's counter-intuitive, it doesn't make sense RIGHT NOW, but in about 10-15 events the light is going to go on and you're going to say, damn, that "Hack" guy pissed me off but boy is he right.

Then in 5 more events you're going to go, man, I wish that "Hack" guy would have told me, once I figured out how to "brake early" then I need to learn to move my braking point further and further back. And then I'm going to tell you, once you've mastered "early braking", you can start moving your braking points further and further closer to turn-in and also braking in shorter and shorter periods with more and more pressure, but continue to apply the same principles of early braking (and taper off of the last 1/2 of braking into your turn-in to "trail brake) to maximize the use of your brakes.

Somewhere along the line you would have upgraded to Hawk DTC-60s or 70s or Cobalt XR3 or XR2s or Performance Friction PFC-01 or PFC-06es and be done with it.
Great post!

OP --> Cool Carbon pads are a great split between street/race pads.