M3TA5IN
SRS BZN
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast06
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
Hey guys, I just wanted you all to know I had the common issue where the head bolt head snaps off due to over torquing at the factory. Apparently this is only common on the 06 models and was fixed the next year but BMW doesn't really notice it. The bolt was right under the oil filter housing.

Anyway, I got BMW to pay the bill out of warrenty. I'm at 70k miles. It took a lot of interaction with the local service adviser and BMWNA, but in the end they paid for it.
Was there an indication that led you to bleive that the bolt was snapped or did you just see that it was snapped? Is the bolt visible without removing anything?
I have a good relationship with my local dealer. I get them to match tischer on parts so in return I get my oil changed there which I like cuz they inspect the car and let me know if anything is wrong. That's how I knew it was snapped.

The one that is most common to snap is visible though, it's right under the oil filter housing. I will take a picture later to show you better. You can clearly see it. The hard part though is sometimes the head snaps off and will sit on the top end right next to it making it look like its actually good, but it's not.