07-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #101
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Everywhere else in the world, BMW, MB, Audi sell a huge range of vehicles. I don't have any problems with them doing the same here in the USA. As has already been said, people over the rest of the world don't have a problem with a very expensive car sitting next to an inexpensive one in a showroom. I don't buy a vehicle to one-up my neighbor...I buy one because it fits my needs. I could care less what others think about it. If you've got lots of expendable income, and want to get noticed, buy something like a Bently, or for a little more flare, maybe a Lambo, both of which have needed to be bailed out because of market swings and issues, that, bar GM and Chrysler who were making crappy cars, most other big car companies cater to a much larger market range. People screamed bloody murder when Porsche came out with their suv, and their lower end cars...long live the 911 - to the 'purists', that is the only model they should have ever made...if they did, they'd be out of business now.

The goal should be good quality and as long as you can maintain that, why not bring it to more people with different needs and expectations.

Overall, that's true. But I don't like that BMW, MB and Audi are trying to make a vehicle for everyone out there. The main reason for that though is to sell less powerful and more efficient engines to meet the average fleet consumptions that are required in the EU and also in the US soon. By raising the amount of different models (mostly lower end models) they can lower the fleet MPG while still offering V8's in the M division. So if it takes BMW Vans so that we can still enjoy the M's, so be it.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0