View Single Post
      05-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #287
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Its all about driving style as well. If i short shifted at 6K and kept a good watch on my car stock, I can run all day long. Of course that also means I cant push the car as hard as I want and probably some slower laps to avoid going over temp.

I think the goal of most people here, is to be able to push a car as hard as we possibly can and still avoid these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968tomr View Post
I have followed with great interest the cooling issues of these cars. I can tell you that I "know somebody" (ahem) who instructs for PCA and BMWCCA and drives his 335i in stock configuration (manual, zhp with stock oil cooler) on a track quite often. Not once has the car experienced a temperature related limp mode (has limped for injectors, also for vanos solenoid).

This "individual" was able to do a 55 minute session at Mid Ohio (until he ran out of gas) in 70 degree ambient without any limps or temperature issues at all. All the while turning reliable 1:45s.

Is this a problem that has just not been experienced yet? Wouldn't a temperature fault result in the temperature icon, or does it just go into reduced power mode?

Thanks for your feedback, as I am not trying to troll, but want to understand what the difference must be, or how the "individual" I am speaking of has garnered the grace of (insert religious reference of your choosing, I will go with Vishnu) to avoid these issues thus far.

-Tom
Appreciate 0