02-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Strange fault! Any suggestions?

My car (58 - 335D, 31,600 mls) has started to display some weird problems,and I wondered if anyone has experienced similar,or could offer some advice.

The problem seems to have started after a flat battery. (since sorted,and I don't think is related to this problem)

Since the battery problem was rectified the car occasionally loses power (quite dramatically) but quickly recovers (never stops).
On two occasions the engine has completely died with no warning lights displayed even when the car has come to a standstill.On both occasions the engine restarted and then behaved as normal.

Yesterday at the start of a 60ml roundtrip the EML light briefly flashed which was quickly followed by a loss of power, but the engine continued to run and I continued on my journey.

On reaching my destination,the engine again died without any warning lights appearing,but started again without drama.
On the return trip the car displayed the EML light which once again was followed by a loss in power,but I completed the journey and the car seemed fine for the remaining 10 odd miles.

The fault seems inconsistent, and does not appear to follow any pattern,so I'm curious to know what could cause the problem.

The red boost hose was replaced last Oct,and my mileage since has been very low,however I noticed last week when charging the battery that the hose is again covered in oil and there is fresh oil on the engine shield,so it is clearly leaking somewhere,and could be a pointer to the problem.

Any suggestions Chaps?
Appreciate 0