02-03-2007, 02:15 AM   #71
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Guys, just so you know, every OEM BMW Brake caliper has a piston/pistons ONLY on the INSIDE of the rotor. I may be wrong, but if I am, it's only on new M cars, or very old cars.

They use what is called a "floating" caliper setup. The single or dual piston (on X5's, only, if I recall correctly) only pushes on ONE side of the rotor. The caliper is on a pair of slides, and as pressure is applied to the inside of the rotor, the outside pad is pulled in towards the rotor, thereby applying the brakes.

In my opinion (and Brembo's, and Wilwood's, and Rotora's, and Stoptech's, etc etc) it's better to have a piston of EACH side of the rotor, but hey. Those crazy Bavarians over in Munich haven't led me wrong yet. My brakes work well enough.

However:

I'm a VERY aggressive driver, and I make it a point to hit my plethora of local awesome canyons every weekend, and sometimes in the week. My brakes get BEAT up. Our brakes do experience some intense fade. I'm not feeling all that safe on my brakes lately, in the canyon's. I'm probably going to pony up for a front BBK.
Appreciate 0