7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I can't remember if '04 is the newer RR body style, or if that was '05 (I think '04 was the new gen for the RR), but I know there have been plenty of people left riding on bump stops because of the air suspension system failure.
'03 was the first of the newer bodystyle, '02 was the final year for the P38 I have. '03 and '04 were the only of the newer bodystyle to have the BMW 4.4 engines (same as the engine in my 740iL), after that they went to the Jaguar V8.

Yeah, the air lines and air bags tend to go out, though these days a replacement bag and air line are quite cheap, and easy to replace, so having a spare of each on hand is all it takes. I like the air ride for the self leveling when I load it with the trailer (and the ease of hitching and unhitching simply by making it kneel)

Quote:
Other odd bits like cracked headers, cracked heads, and electrical issues were on peoples' lists IIRC. Many people have never had problems, and others have been left by the side of the road multiple times.
I've seen the same things on my 7 series forums. Most of the time, the ones that are the most problematic have been mal-treated by either owners or clueless independant shops.

Quote:
Honestly, though, my wallet would feel more comfortable owning the RR out of warranty than my 335. My Disco had almost zero problems, and was by far the best truck I've ever owned or used. The only issue I had was with gas mileage (13mpg combined), and a failed cargo door lock actuator. And, man, did that truck own shit off-roading, too. LR builds impressive vehicles. They don't seem as much "utility" focused as they used to be, but they still have that personality you can't get elsewhere.
Yeah, my favorite offroader so far was my '88. Slow, with the smallest, lowest hp engine of the three, and got the worst fuel mileage. But pretty much unstoppable offroad, and could turn in it's own length. My current one averages 18 mpg highway, even at 80 mph, and 16 while towing.

Appreciate 0