View Single Post
      01-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #34
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
do you guys now if I can mix the coolant with distiled water? because I heard that it is not a good idea because the engine block is made from magnesium which will/can react with water and burn the block..is this true? what other solvents can I use?
They use magnesium for flares that are activated by salt water...the important thing being salt. Toss those flares in a fresh water lake and they will probably not ignite. If we were flying over fresh water, I'd have to sprinkle in some salt and then throw em out. The magnesium in the flare is powdered and easy to ignite with ...salt and water. A magnesium block is not in powder form....it is a block. The only kinda solid magnesium part that could potentially ingnite were brakes on some aircrafts and that only happens in extreme conditions that a BMW engine block will never approach. And yeah, spraying water on a magnesium brake (or flare) fire will probably make it explode.

Also, I'd guess the largest amount of anything even in concentrated coolant is water.
Appreciate 0