jacksonjw81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Hi guys,
In the last two days, we've installed XEDEs on two Steptronic'd 335is. Today, we managed to a proper single gear (3rd) pull from low RPM to Redline without it downshifting. As someone suggested in another thread, the trick is to disable DTC (hold down for 5 seconds) before you even roll (even a tiny bit) on the dyno rollers. If you roll first and then disable DTC, all is lost. Of course, you will also have to stay out of the kickdown switch at the end of the throttle travel. So thanks to all who contributed to the project

Back to business...

All dyno testing was done in 3rd gear. By 3000rpm, the car is full throttle (just shy of the kickdown switch). The dyno run last several seconds less then a normal 4th gear 6MT dyno run. So it's best not to directly compare them since testing conditions/procedure is so different.

This customer's car (name withheld) put down 260-261whp in stock form (run 2 and 3). With the Xede activated (running the baseline Stg 0 map), the very next run it put down 315whp. That's a healthy 55whp gain with no custom tuning. Torque went from 273 to 327lbft-- a gain of 54lbft. The car generated so much torque that it began to rock back and forth on the dyno (hence the little oscillations in the midrange).

Steptronic'd Stg 0 vs. Stock 91oct

In a 4th gear run (not shown), torque when up to 350lbft but power dropped to 310whp (longer run generated more heat up top).

Again, this dyno does seem to read quite a bit lower than the other Dynojets I've used. For instance, we've baselining stock 6MT cars at 270whp. The dyno I used last weekend in TX was reading 285whp for stock 6MT cars. Yes, there is an octane difference but I'm not so sure it matters at stock power levels. Which dyno is right? I don't know. And it really doesn't matter, I suppose. What is important is that we compare runs only done on the same day on the same dyno. So there you have it

Now all we need to do is dyno test a 6MT Stg 0 car (next week). All of the 6MT cars we've tested so far have exhaust systems.

Cheers,
shiv
Wow great great numbers....
Appreciate 0