View Single Post
      11-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #303
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Aren't the audio settings all up to personal preference/taste? Also, different kinds/types/genres of music may require different settings.

Why are we suggesting cookie cutter settings for everyone to use?

And who decided that these are the ideal settings?
Old thread I know but bumping because I am fiddling with audio settings in a couple of cars.

Of course you are right about individual preferences but ideally you start from a flat acoustic reproduction spectrum. Meaning you use a signal analyzer to compare input source spectrum to sound output spectrum at typical ear location. You then adjust where possible to get that as close to equal in each band, so that reproduced sound is as close to recorded sound as possible.

This nullifies peculiarities in the audio system components and cabin, so that the sound you hear is as close to that recorded as possible. Then you adjust up or down as needed from there. With the advent of many speaker systems and lots of sound processing, plus multiple adjustment bands, sometimes this is a hopeless task.

For example, go set all your logic 7 eq settings to to zero, and turn off sound all processing. Then try adjusting only treble and bass, see how good it sounds. (I just did this) It sucks! Then set it back to these. Much better. Not perfect but close to flat. Once you are close to flat you can even just adjust treble and/or bass up or down to suit instead of messing with sub-bands. I find these settings a bit too bright high end, so I lower treble little, esp playing off the hard disk with the digital compression algorithm distortion.

This is generally what an equalizer is for, compensating for environmental and installation/equipment acoustic deviations/variations from perfect reproduction. You need high quality mics to do it though and that is often not feasible for ordinary folks. What you are measuring in engineering terms is the acoustic transfer function from input (source material) to output (sound @ listener's ear location(s)), and you want those to be flat in each band. But as a starting point only.

Last edited by ajsalida; 11-12-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0