09-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #965
Laurus_CEO
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Hey guys, I haven't visited this thread in a while as I haven't tracked the E90 in a long time. I turned my E36 into an HPDE car and have been tracking that instead. However, it's always fun to take the E90 out once in a while. I have a VK Motorwerks oil cooler sitting in the closet that I can install, but I just had a thought to throw out there...

With the high oil temps, and the hot turbos, has anyone tried just removing some, or all, of the underpanels of the car? I imagine BrianMN cringing after all the aero work done on his car, but I'm wondering if the huge amount of air rushing through the under carriage and possibly cooling off the turbos will help? Food for thought... I don't have plans to track the E90 any time soon but will keep an eye on this thread in case anyone tries it. Would be a simple back to back test at the track...
Removing the underpanels is an interesting thought. As I read through this thread I thought about some of the other seemingly obvious and low cost temperature management solutions that have been done on other cars that it seems like people aren't trying with the 335i/N54. Such as rerouting the windshield washer squirters to spray onto the intercooler, oil cooler and/or radiator? Or perhaps adding a fan to the stock oil cooler? Maybe putting a fan onto the upgraded oil coolers? Upgraded the fan on the radiator?
Appreciate 0