08-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver1921 View Post
Interesting, your Tampa dealership said at 4mm pads needed to be changed. My dealer told me that im currently at 6mm (BMW CPO certification requires all pads under 5mm to be changed) and he said they wouldn't need to be changed normally until 2.5. But your dealer told you to change at 4mm. I was told that a light would come on telling me the brakes needed to be changed when they reached 2.5 thickness, but if at 4mm you're in danger of messing up your rotors then either my dealer is lying or yours is. I wonder which it is 2.5, or 4mm?

I'm starting to wonder if BMW isn't skimping on brake maintenance to lower costs, just like they've done with the 15k oil change and lifetime tranny fluid.
I don't know. At the time I was thankful to know about the wear level of the pads (my CBS for the rear brakes was still showing 30k miles!). I also had another issue in need of attention so I went ahead with a pad change.

Again, I was surprised about the rotor tolerance but happy not to replace them as it would have doubled the quote for the pads alone.
Appreciate 0