View Single Post
      09-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #50
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@AMS View Post
Ok take a look at the graph the gentleman from Alabama just posted....look at redline. That is showing a near 45 whp gain at redline comparing two cold passes. Even when cold the stock IC heat soaks so bad near redline on a cold pull that the AMS one just walks away with it. I am not really sure what you are trying to get at but you are missing a few key things. The stock core was designed to run 8 psi of boost and was constructed as thus. We are now throwing 14-16 psi at that nearly DOUBLING the input to that core and doing god knows what in way of heat. Seeing a gain like this is not that hard to believe.

You are adding a MUCH more efficient and higher volume core, Increasing the entry and exit ports of the end tanks substantially to 3". completely reworking the end tanks to optimize airflow. Adding in special tapered couplers to aid in flow and velocity. To top if all off you are switching from tube and fin to bar and plate on core construction. It's all right in front of you.

Again, please don;t take this the wrong way but this is not the first intercooler we have made. We have been doing this for a very long time so we know what works. Based on the vastly inferior stock core we are working with on this car these gains are not that out of line.

Again not quite sure what you are digging at but I have answered all of your questions as to where the power is coming from.

Eric
Eric, I am not in any way doubting your expertise or questioning your reputation as a fabricator or tuner. With that said, I can post log after log on the stock intercooler on the exact setup listed here. I can post pre-stock and post-stock intercooler logs as well. In fact, you can probably look them up as I have a ton of them on here. I have done extensive testing in 90F weather with IATs as high as 154F and as low as about 70F and I know what the JB3 on Map 7 will do to boost in these situations. In fact, A418t81 eludes to the fact that IAT boost decay probably played a major role in the difference on these dynos.

If you are saying that your intercooler flow and efficiency account for 43 rwhp at redline at 14-16 psi, then that is your choice. At the same time, I will bet money that under identical circumstances and identical boost curves that your intercooler will not produce 43 rwhp over stock period.

A418t81, I do want to say that you are a huge value to this forum and appreciate everything you add. I just saw the dyno and was looking for more information. If you prefer, I will just leave the thread as is and remove my posts out of respect.
Appreciate 0