View Single Post
      12-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefactoM6 View Post
LSD has nothing to do with it...it doesn't create magical grip. On a flat, straight, well paved road, a LSD isn't doing squat. It only helps when one wheel is being oversped under load and the other isn't. I'll make a more relevant comparison. My car makes very similar TQ numbers to what RBs put down (491). And with PSSes, open diff and stock rear suspension, I never had a problem putting down power at 60mph, even 40mph, as long as the temps are above 40. If you are getting "wheelspin" at 100mph, 60mph, you are either feeling the flimsy rear toe arms/subframe bushings and perceiving their weakness/floatiness as wheelspin, a colossally screwed up alignment, an inability to drive, you hit a massive expansion gap, or some combination thereof.

Now back on topic.
I agree for the most part but with all due respect, there are not many flat straight and well paved roads in this country. In fact, I dont know of any LOL.

My 335i spun 40 rolls like it's job, and sometimes on uneven surfaces it would break loose shifting into 3rd.

Keeping that in mind, my Vette with a real LSD doesn't have any problems. Once you drive a car with a real LSD you wonder why you waited so long if you had the opportunity to upgrade.

The car is much more predictable and consistent, and you dont need to worry about finding that perfect road if you want to hook up well.

When it does get a little loose, it's easy to dial back in as it's not throwing power around to one wheel or the other.

Appreciate 0