View Single Post
      11-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #21
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Question The elusive BMW Y-cable (among other things)

Hi Folks,

I wandered over here from M3Post.

I picked up my new car last week and I must say that I am far from impressed with BMW's implementation of iPod integration.

I have the 6FL option, along with iDrive. The infamous Y-cable is not supplied as standard in the U.K. (They do give you a USB-extension cable for reasons best known to themselves: needless to say it is neither use nor ornament).

So, I'm currently using 6FL with a standard iPod USB cable and a brand new iPod classic.

I have identified the following problems so far:
  1. It takes about 10 mins for the song data to become visible via iDrive - in the meantime, all you can do is browse the idiosyncratic iPod file system
  2. Some .mp3 files (these files do NOT have DRM), while playing happily on iTunes and iPod, will not play on the head unit
  3. I understand that protected .mp3 files and AAC files will not play in this configuration (not a problem for me)
  4. The head unit does not "do" gapless play (i.e. it cocks up your live albums etc.)
  5. All the "The -----" artists are group under "T" exaccerbating the scrolling issue already discussed in this thread
  6. The folk at the Apple store on Regent Street have never heard of the BMW Y-cable

Please can someone confirm whether all of the above issues are solved by the Y-cable? I know that the trade-off is that the audio is then sent to the head unit via a (probably cheap and nasty stereo cable to/from the armrest): are there any other drawbacks to BMW's suggested configuration (other than the obscene £30 price-tag for something that damn well should have been included from the outset?).

Many thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0