View Single Post
      10-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
boilerdan33
Adrenaline Junkie Extrordinaire
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i Steptronic ZSP

What is the best all-around track car for the $$

I am starting to think I made a mistake. I was planning on getting a used Boxster S to feed my track addiction, but my wife talked me into getting a 335i sedan with an automatic so that we could use it as an everyday family car as well as a track car.

The engine overhears to quickly, the car has WAY to much body roll and it understeers like a pig. I'm starting to add up the $$ it will take to fix all this stuff and it seems to me I'd be better off buying a $9000 E36. If I wad it up, at least I won't wad up a car that's still worth $30K. (Or if I do BBK, swaybars, radiator, M3 suspension components, oil cooler, etc., it will be a $38K car worth $31K to my insurance company.)

So the question becomes what is the best track car for the money? It rules out almost all convertibles because car clubs don't want the liability. I'd say to make a good track car, it should be less than $15k. More than that and you're back to being too worried about wrecking it.

The 944 turbo has to much lag, the 944 S2 is a possibility. I think so is an e36 M3, older 911s with the less sophisticated suspensions have to much weight in the ass, I wonder about EVO's and STI's.

I want something I can use as an extra car, something streetable, I don't want to have to buy a tow vehicle, trailer, and find storage space for it in the city. Definitely a stick with outstanding brakes and a relatively inexpensive upkeep.

Right now my best guess is an E36 that someone has already done some work to. Something I can learn with, grow, and still have fun without braking the bank or breaking down too much.
1. Hot 2.Sane 3.Single -Pick Two
Appreciate 0