01-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #38
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I see what you're talking about and the bright blue screen would definitely be an annoyance for me.
The answer to your question is that i do get some sort of reflection but it's hardly noticable. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. It's not as bad as yours. Not even close.
The night shot that i took is pretty much exactly what I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
Thanks for the very illuminating pictures. The color match is indeed very good.

When I asked about an eye-level shot at night, though, I was thinking about the view through the windshield. Can you see a reflection of the gauge in the windshield at night?

To illustrate this in a photo, take a driver's eye-level shot at night, out the windshield, with the boost gauge and instrument cluster at bottom of frame.

I don't have a boost gauge, but I do have a spare digital camera. What I did was place my spare camera in the same location at you've placed your gauge. Then, I took a picture of it at night in the manner described above. As you can see in the attached photo, a reflection of the camera's rear LCD can be seen on the windshield.

This seemingly minor issue can be a rear annoyance on a dark, unfamiliar road, as I discovered in my old B5 S4.

I messed around with tilting the camera to eliminate the reflection, but I had to nearly lay it flat on the dash (not a realistic choice for a gauge). I'm starting to think that any lighted gauge close to the windshield will need a cowl, but maybe the smoked lens on your gauge is another option...

The $64k question: does your gauge have this problem?

Thanks again for all your diligence on this topic.

-Rob

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0