View Single Post
      06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
H17M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question CDB malfunction?? Weird problem today..

So, here is the basic info on the car:
'07 E90 335XI. Only performance mods are JB4 stage 3 and an aFe intake.

*The car is due for the battery cable recall but it has not yet been performed**

I put the DTC off before leaving a parking lot today, put the car in M mode. Gunned it hard, and all of a sudden a red warning light came on the i-Drive that said "electrical system malfunction, please come to a safe stop"

The car was still driving completely normally during this time, but the gauge cluster was going haywire..the needles were bouncing back and forth, warning lights were on, and eventually the i-Drive (CCC) rebooted itself.
I shut the car off and restarted. Started up no problem but it had a warning light that said "CDB Malfunction- Drive Carefully"

What is this?

The car drove normally, but the foglight indicator and turn signals on the instrument cluster were no longer working. Outside the car everything was normal, it seemed like just those things on the cluster decided not to work.

Also, the car was telling me a door was open when it was not and the dome light was on the whole way home.

Got home and inspected the vehicle to look for any water damage (we have been having a LOT of rain in Massachusetts lately, about 5-6 inches of rain in the past 2 weeks)..I lifted up the driver's side and passenger's side carpet and everything seemed normal. Checked the fuse panel area and didn't see any condensation.
Weird.

So, I scheduled a BMW emergency service appointment for tomorrow. In the mean time, I disconnected the battery (negative terminal) and did a battery reset. Waited about 5 minutes and reconnected battery..and everything seems back to normal now??!?!

Any idea what this was guys?
My friend who works at BMW thinks that maybe when I floored it, some wiring on the JB4 could have moved around or loosened up or something and caused that to happen..but since the battery reset all is normal. He is a master tech and also said he has never heard of "CDB Malfunction".

Thanks for any input guys.

Last edited by H17M3; 06-12-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0