View Single Post
      11-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #560
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
what is involved in 'programming' the new battery? did you ask your indy shop? or did you see them do it?

because i didnt do it on my 911 when i changed the battery and it seems to be doing just fine so far. of course its only been a few days since i did the change.

i have asked the mechanic that does the basic maintenance on my cars and he has never heard of programming the battery. is this unique to BMWs?
Not sure about the 911, sorry. You may want to check on forums such as rennsport, pelicanparts or pca. You can also ask Harnold (German dude) at Port Plus in Lachine.

For BMW's yes, unfortunately you need to register the battery to the iDrive system. On my 5 series it is recommended to maintain proper functioning of the electronics. There are so many modules and sensors on modern BMW's that if the battery dies you could be in trouble. I don't know about the 3 series but I suspect it is the same. Mine was programmed at BM Exlusive by Julien, I call him the wizz kid. He handles the electronics and CPU updates on the cars.

I have to bring in my 5 for servicing at BMW because the valve lifters are clacking...another hydraulic thing to take care of but it should be under warranty.
Appreciate 0