03-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Does any one know anywhere in the UK who offer intake valve cleaning? Ideally the walnut shell blasting method.. I have spoken to a few people to no avail!!!
I just had mine done at Birds while my HPFP was changed. It made sense to do it at the same time as they had to get the intake off to get to the fuel pump. So after a quick inspection to see the horrors of 55K, it was time to clean them. The valves were cleaned chemically with brushes and lots of scrubbing and Denis spent a good few hours getting them nice and clean.

Here are a few pics of the state as they had started to loosen up the crap on the valves.

Name:  IMG_9605_cropped.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9610_cropped.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9614_cropped.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  56.4 KB

Unfortunately I was busy talking to Kevin as they finished cleaning them so I don't have any photos of the final state. I saw them around mid way through and they looked a lot better than the above photos. Car is now back to full power after a new HPFP and cleaned intake/valves. I was actually surprised how bad my dying fuel pump were affecting performance and it feels like I got 30-40 BHP back.
Appreciate 0