12-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #90
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well, you didn't say you were replacing the reservoir because it was leaking at the hose bibs, that's a different subject. 99% of power steering work discussed on this Forum is preventative maintenance related. Changing out the reservoir as a preventative maintenance item is overkill. I
I'm no mechanic but here is why I changed the reservoir and not just the clamps and cap gasket. The fluid was black for starters. Second even with the reservoir filled it would judder when turning left or right with out moving. I think that the filter was clogged and or preventing enough fluid to go through the system. When I flushed the PS fluid and replaced the reservoir the judder is gone. Not sure how else to explain it. But honestly nobody really believes that fluids last the life of a car do they? I honestly believe this is a marketing ploy for new cars that offer free maintenance for the duration of the warranty. It would cost the dealerships a bunch of money if they had to replace these fluids during their "free" maintenance windows. Once the car is out of warranty then it's not their concern. Back to my point either changing the fluid and or swapping out the reservoir fixed my juddering. Personally I think these are both maintenance issues. The reservoir has a built in filter and I would think they get clogged up after a while. Again not a mechanic but changing fluids is a cheap insurance to keeping these cars running a long time.
Appreciate 0