View Single Post
      12-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #101
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwether View Post
After flushing my power steering fluid and replacing the reservoir as a matter of routine maintenance the power steering pump developed a loud whine and there is foam in the reservoir.

I've been troubleshooting this for weeks and in the process have flushed and bled the system four times using CHF 11S, replaced all rubber hoses (1, 3, 9, 11 in diagram), and installed a new power steering pump and reservoir.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting steps. My bleed procedure is to top off the fluid and turn the wheel from lock to lock with the front tires jacked up until there are no air bubbles surfacing.

This is for a 2006 325xi E90 sedan.

Sounds like you did everything correctly. After performing the bleed procedure with the car off, did you perform it again with the car on/power steering pump running? Bleeding the car power steering system with the car off removed the air from the steering rack/lines, but not the pump. Theoretically, e90s have a self bleeding procedure... A bunch of full left and full right turns with the car on should fully bleed the system. Ideal lifted for easier movement. Also, steady/fast pace is recommended. Not too fast or too slow.

You replaced all hoses and power steering pump. Is the power steering pump rebuilt?

I flushed my power steering fluid recently, original power steering pump is quiet. Hopefully won't ever have to deal with the rack or pump.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 12-27-2022 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0