11-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #106
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwether View Post
I believe I've solved my issue. I ended up bleeding the system yet again but this time I disconnected the reservoir inlet hose and dumped it into a tub. I then ran the car (turning the wheel lock to lock) while pouring fresh fluid into the reservoir to fill as it was depleted.

After multiple cycles of this the power steering whine is gone.

My hypothesis is that there was enough air in the system that the fluid became aerated and was being recirculated without bleeding off. Bleeding the system without the vehicle running only ever resulted in a few bubbles floating to the top but doesn't seem to have been clearing all the air pockets.

I had some notchy steering and thought the PS reservoir might have been clogged. Turns out I was just low on fluid, but I bought a new reservoir anyways, and installed on the car. The one I got was the URO one, I've used URO parts in the past and not had issues. However this time there was obvious excess plastic inside the reservoir and when I looked at the inlet I could see an obstruction as well. Trash quality. Put my old reservoir back on and everything is the way it should be, no foam in the reservoir.

DO NOT buy the URO reservoir if you plan to do this. Go with something else.