Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Skyline View Post
there are so many types of tint out there that i simply don't know which to go with.. before i begin perusing the forums maybe you guys can answer my questions..

i've noticed that most aftermarket tints have a greenish hue to them.. are there any that have a more blueish hue?

i.e. my '08 FX has factory tint in the rear but i got aftermarket tint for the front windows.. when inside the car looking out you can tell the factory tint is crisp, clear, and has a blueish hue where as the front tints don't give as crisp a view and look greenish in comparison (the tint itself is applied perfectly, no blemishes/bubbles).. you can clearly tell the factory tint is far superior

of course i wouldn't notice the difference in a coupe because the same tint would be applied all around but i still prefer clarity of vision

lastly, which tint offers the best UV protection? to keep the interior nice and fresh..

thanks guys (and gals)
You are applying a tint film to the glass and the factory tint is actually mixed into the window glass, so there's comparison in terms of clarity. The factory tint will always win. With that said, most high quality modern tint film will not cause much distortion.

The greenish hue that you speak actually comes from the glass, not the film, although the film is more likely to make the hue more prominent. If you look at the window glass closely, the BMW glass has this greenish hue. If you look at an Avantgarde (Sport in the USA) model of Mercedes Benz, e.g. a C300 Sport Sedan, you'll notice that it comes with a slight bluish hue instead. The difference is in the impurities / additives in the glass.

UV protection is almost 99% all across the board. That's really a non-issue. What you really care is how much IR the tint will block, i.e. how cool will your cabin stay with the tint film applied.