06-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #148
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor detroit View Post
TAR!

I left my car with the dealer to add a ACS front and roof lip spoiler and they brought it back with a huge tar mark on the driver's side rear side. There were four marks and I got the two of the smaller marks out with Turtle Wax Tar and Bug remover but two of the marks are still there and one is huge.

I'm overseas and getting some products is not possible. How should I attack this tar problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.
What products do you have access to? If you have a clay bar, you can use that, it may take a while and a lot of passes, but it's probably the safest way to remove tar. You could use the Tar & Bug Remover as clay lube to help speed up the process.

I've had good luck with Isopropyl Alcohol and Water for removing sap, and when it's really stubborn, I'll mix in a degreaser (Poorboy's Biodegradable APC is what I use). You could try something similar on the tar if you don't have clay as an option.

Unfortunately there's no quick method of tar removal while remaining paint safe.

George
Appreciate 0