United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Really; but I'm not advocating run-flats either. I just wanted to point out that a lot of people use the excuse of RFT's being way heavier than standard tires as the reason to switch to non RFTs. Your point about the lousy tread wear is the exact reason I switched to non-RFTs over 100,000 miles ago on my car. I do think that, at least for the sport package (do you get a BMW any other way?), the Bridgestones are ultra-high performance summer tires where one would expect poor longevity anyway.

My real issue is that even now, 5 years after the introduction of the E90, there are not a lot of choices in a RFT for the car. You can't get (at least the last time I checked) a high performance all-season tire in a RFT configuration for the sport package wheel size combination. I was willing to give up a bit of grip for an additional 10,000 miles of treadwear and moved to a non-RFT setup. If the tire industry had a RFT comparable to the Yokahama W4S that I use on my car, I'd go back to run flats just for the security to compensate for no spare. I think RFTs are a good idea, just poorly executed within the auto/tire industry.
We do think alike on this subject. My lighter wheels probably helped more than the tires with regard to unsprung weight, but there is a noticeable difference in ride and handling. I'm currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics and getting about 15K miles out of the rears, which is good for UHP summer tires (not much need for 4-season tires here in Central TX), but the last set of Yokos I ran (AVS-ES100 on an E46 ZHP) only lasted 8500 miles.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0