View Single Post
      01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

Noob's questions on rims... and life.

This is the first time I've thought about re-shoeing my ride and the first time I've been in a position to do it. Just looking though posts I'm starting to learn a good bit about the process, but there are some things I haven't been able to come up with answers to, even though I've searched. I understand some of the basics, such as how to read tire sizes (255/35-18, etc), the difference between cast and forged wheels (but not which is better and when it's better), run-flats suck and the fact that CSL's are drop dead sexy. However, once you get past that, I'm a little lost. Without further ado, lets rock and roll:

1. What's a staggered (v. non-staggered) setup? It seems like our cars come factory with a staggered setup, but at some sites, you can buy staggered or non-staggered. Any advantages to either?

2. What is offset, how is it measured?

3. Where do eye boogies come from?

4. Are stock BMW rims cast or forged? Why are the factory BMW rims so expensive aftermarket?

5. From the pictures in a post called 'To buy or not to buy Iforged? Everyone reply please..' it looks like the Iforged wheels are made by welding a center to a rim. I haven't seen the back of a set, but judging by the way the spokes blend into the rim on some wheels, it looks like they're machined from a solid chunk of that good ol' 6061-T6. I'm thinking of something like Morr's, for example. Is this true? Are there two different ways to make a forged rim?

7. Are some makes of rims banned at tracks? Are forged better than cast for general driving and track duty? I only want to know this to help better advise others. I would never take my car to a track or drag strip, according to BMW, this is sin #1.

8. What happened to #6?

9. Would anyone feel like making a sticky 'Wheels FAQ' type of thing? Heck, in exchange to answers to these questions, I'll type it up if someone wants to proof-read it before I post.

10. What's the meaning of life?

11. Am I out of questions?
-Yes, for now.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Appreciate 0