11-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
I'm an ENT and with all the BS we put up with from Ins companies and Medicare I sometimes regret not going with my first plan -- interventional radiology.

At present the Radiologists and Pulmonologists I know make considerably more than I do. We have a very high Medicare rate and a moderate amount of a Medicaid. They contract with the hospital so it doesn't hurt them. I'm private so it's just money pissed away when I take a Medicaid pt to the OR. But in the end it's what they need. Unfortunately a Ferrari is not in my future.

I have a friend who is also an M3 owner who is an Anesthesiologist. He makes about what I make but he took 9 weeks off last year to my 5 days. If any medical students are reading this, think long and hard before choosing a specialty, the difference in reimbursement can easily amount to millions over a career.
I think one important point you left out is that the patterns of reimbursement change over time. For this reason, I don't think it's very prudent to choose a career within medicine purely based on compensation. People who have entered radiology for this purpose are starting to discover this, as employment opportunities and compensation are starting to drop across the nation.

Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but my focus has been to systematically eliminate and select specialties based on considerations like job satisfaction, intellectual challenge, work environment and lifestyle. The downside is that I'm halfway through my 3rd year, and I've eliminated everything thus far .

Back on topic: Chief of specialty at my current rotation has a LMB E92 M3 ZCP. I wish I could bring up the topic of cars with him without coming off as a complete douche.
Appreciate 0