View Single Post
      01-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #29
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post
Is the perch that the spring connects do on the strut in a lower position on the bilstein versus the only XI ones?

I am having difficulty with my Ibach broke yet I can't seem to get the front to lower properly the car is still raked.

They claim a 1.4 drop in the front and I wanted to drop in the rear. I have already achieve more than 1 inch in the rear but nowhere near 1.4 inch in the front.

I cut my rear bump stops but left the front as per the instructions that eibach gave me.

However I didn't loosen the lower control arm bushing to stop the preload a lot of suspension to sit with this fix it?

Here's a picture of my car and the suspension, look like it's not supposed to?
You are using springs for a non XI, why do you think instructions and projected drop for them apply to your car? Just because they "fit" doesn't mean they "work".

As I explained in the other section: the front lower perch is higher on an XI, so the front sits higher. It will never settle to where a non XI would sit.

In addition if you did not cut bump stops in front, that may make it worse. XI stops are longer than non XI. So you may be sitting on them and even if you got the lowering perches they would not work because you'd still be sitting on the bump stops. (BTW springs do not "settle". Rubber and foam settles.) This is why people often use E36M3 bump stops in front.

And yes XI is a heavier car that is why it sits lower in back than a non XI would.

BTW people using H&R's have same problem, possibly because H&R says they have XI-specific springs when really they are just the same part # and identical to non XI springs. There are many issues with lowering an XI, many threads here on it.

Finally, even if you get the SP perches to work, the way they work is by reducing strut travel by the amount they lower. You will already be prone to bottoming out more without them, and that just gets worse with them.

Last edited by ajsalida; 01-18-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0