11-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #152
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3
Im sure you guys will come out with an ECU flash for the 335i, just as you have for the Evo and the STI, and when you do, Im sure its going to give you more control over the cars key functions than your Exede implementation. Dont you find that to be true with your current applications, where you offer both exede and reflash technology?
There are piggy backs for our E36 M3s also... Plugnplay Unichip implementations, and others.. And noone thinks that they even play in the same ballpark as the well tuned ecu applications out there.
Back in 2001, we were the biggest Unichip dealer in America. It worked reasonably well for the time (and for the price) but it had its shortcomings (CAS replication, software inflexibility, hardware limitations, etc,.). Since then, the XEDE was designed from the ground-up to provide the unparalled flexibility to adapt to any number of cars. We can and do things with the XEDE that we cannot dream of doing with the factory ECU (or any other stand alone or piggyback system for that matter).

In the case of the EVO, the ultimate engine control package we offer is a reflash/xede combo. The reflash is there only for injector scaling and raised rev limits (MAF based). The XEDE, by virtue of its greater mapping resolution (way better than the stock ECU) and ability to nest maps within other maps as a function of wideband input, knock buffer input, lean run conditions, etc,. functions as the primary tuning device. We see something similar with the 335i. However, being MAP referenced, there is no issue with raising boost limits with the XEDE. And being direct injection and running closed loop all the time, there is no need to upgrade injectors any time in the foreseeable future. So I'm not sure where the flash comes into play. Especially when warranty is a major concern.

Quote:
Perhaps its different with the 335i, but Id be surprised.. at the other end of the spectrum, we have the Standalones, which probably give the Most control to the tuner. But they take so much development to get them right, that, at least in the E36 world, theres really only one guy who makes well respected PnP standalone products.. And the ecu reflash world of the E36 is not all that different.. Probably only 2-3 individuals making really good reflash, native ecu products for the e36 m3.
It is different with the 335i. That's why we are investing so much time into the platform. As for stand-alones, I started my company in '99 offering and tuning stand alone systems for aftermarket turbocharged cars. They are a thing of the past, IMHO. I don't think I'd ever stick a stand-alone of any time in my road car. Modern fatory ECUs are way more adaptable and smarter than any stand-alone I've come across in recent years.

Quote:
>>continuous closed loop<<

You mean, the E90/92 is in closed loop all the time... no WOT Open Loop mode????
Correct. Closed loop all the time. Aint that a hoot?

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 11-29-2006 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0