View Single Post
      11-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMirakle View Post
Hmm yeah that sounds like what I'm experiencing here... The dealership is pretty stubborn and they're not going to take any of the shit I plan on giving them for it. I'm pretty sure it's not my tires or the alignment... That sounds very ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous. That's exactly what it is.

Quote:
Anyway, I've had the car for a year now and when I first got it it wasn't noticeable but it was probably not as smooth as it could've been. I just figured it was supposed to be that way because of the tighter sport package suspension. As the year went on it's gotten noticeably worse and for the past 4-5 months it's been VERY ANNOYING.
I think what's happening is that you are now very close to riding on your bump stops, and the reason the symptoms have come on gradually is that your springs are sagging slightly over time, or, something else in your suspension is "settling" causing your ride height to lower slightly. Loss of ride height brings you closer to the bump stops, and will cause a bouncy, undamped ride.

The kind of bouncy I'm talking about is not hard road texture. I'm talking about low frequency body movements that are not harsh they're just really annoying and stupid. If that's what you're experiencing, I think you can fix it by changing to shorter bump stops.

Quote:
I guess there's no use in arguing with the dealer about it. I'll just have to take a loss on the diagnostic fee they're charging me and try some suspension shops to get their opinions.
If you want I can give you part numbers for bump stops to get, front and rear. Total parts cost will be about $60, install though will be more, maybe $300. If you possibly can, find an independent BMW shop, that is, someone that specializes in BMWs or a small number of models. Not a suspension place.

Maybe you can visit the BMWCCA web site, I think they show a list of member independent shops. Most of them are very good.

No matter where you go, you're going to have a tough time finding anyone who is knowledgable about these kinds of performance issues.

For the alignment and tire stuff, I would go to tirerack.com, look at their list of approved installers, they are rated by customers. Look for the highest rated ones in your area. Tire installers often do alignments and suspension upgrades, and they may even have something to say about your situation.

Hope this helps. And please let us know what happens!
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0