View Single Post
      03-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Well I plan on having a shop do the trans and diff swap. That's something I don't think I want to do as a first time DIY.

I'm gonna have to look into the AC flush and belt change.

Yea that's the DIY I'll be following. I know the Mike Miller maintenance schedule says to swap trans fluid every 30k but I haven't touched it since I got the car new so I don't want to do too many swaps as I heard that refilling can dislodge settled metal particles and potentially damage other things.

Just had inspection 2 around 55k. I'm at 63K now. I'm familiar with the Mike Miller maintenance plan but I think it's a bit much. Some more than others. The only reason why I'm waiting to do the trans/diff flush is because I haven't done so already and don't want to be doing them every 30k. If I had the tools and know how, sure. But this will be the first time doing trans/diff fluid so I'll be watching my shop do it so I can learn.

I was unaware of the revised spark plugs. I'll have to look into that.

And I did not flush the clutch.....is that only for manual cars? I have an AT.

As far as the oil filter housing gasket. There is a DIY thread in that section. It's pretty well written and I beleive there is a comparison between the old and new gasket. I've seen 2 instances of people complaining about the gasket leaking. But I don't know where they are now. Let me know if you can't find them. I'll try to search for them.

Well I have a BT tool which can tell me which pack is faulty so I would just need to buy the coil pack at the dealer and swap it out.

Is there a possibility a coil pack failure could leave me stranded? If so then I think I may replace all coils as well.

Thanks for the responses guys.....much appreciated.
Just a bit more opinion from me. You've been doing some maintenance yourself, battery change, I think you fixed a fuel system vent pipe, and other stuff if I remember correctly, but you're cautious of diff and trans oil changes. There is probably nothing easier to do than drain and fill the transmission and differential. But you will attempt a oil filter housing gasket change? If you are confident enough to attempt the gasket change, the diff and trans oils are a piece of cake. Go for it.

The drive belt is so easy it's not funny. The AC needs special tools normally not available to the home mechanic (i.e. freon recovery tank, AC vacuum machine), and you can't buy refrigerant in bulk without a license to properly refill the system in accordacne with the BMW procedure, so that one you should leave to a shop.
Appreciate 0