View Single Post
      06-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #661
IveGotABadFeelin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i Xdrive

So I am still having trouble and thought I would post an update to share / seek advice.

Based on my earlier post / what I have read so far it seemed I needed a firmware update for my 2009 328i built in 4/09. I had already downloaded a copy of the map plate back in Jan from a different thread on this forum and my car never saw the update via the glovebox USB drive. At the time I had a 32GB PNY USB 3.0 drive that worked fine on my PCs that I was using as well as the armrest USB (just as confirmation that the car could see it from the music port).

I ended up getting a quote of $300 to update firmware at one local dealer so I called the other in my area and got a quote of $135 (which turned out to be $150 in actuality). I took my car to that dealer and they had it for about 2 hours. In that time they verified that all of my software was already up to date but had not yet been activated. Hmmm. Sounds a bit odd to me (I'm not sure how you update firmware on anything without activating it/using it) but I go with it in the hopes that it will work and I can buy an FSC code and be happy.

Needless to say it didn't work when I got home so I verified with Dracon that Lexar is the USB stick that BMW uses but Sandisk should also be good. Best Buy miraculously agreed to swap my PNY I bought in Jan for a Sandisk so I came home, formatted the new USB drive and loaded the maps (holy slow as this stick was clearly NOT USB 3.0). Tried it in the car and it doesn't work either (after 5-10 minutes waiting). Armrest USB sees the drive fine as does my laptop so I know the drive itself works, but the glovebox USB is still DOA.

At this point I see two options: 1) get a Lexar drive and cross my fingers or 2) try to get a drive that has worked for someone else and see what happens. I am kind of partial to 2 at this point since I am not sure the dealer did anything and it would be good to have a working USB stick in hand if I have to go back and push them. If anyone has one that they would be willing to let me borrow for a bit I would be happy to pay shipping both ways. I am also happy to hear any other suggestions anyone might have to share.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0