07-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #39
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
It simply means that using the single total timing advance parameter as a gauge for knock is very inaccurate, for many reasons. And yes, I have data to back that up. I am just getting back from a 4 week trip and need to get caught up, but will be happy to share the data as time permits. To really understand knock retard you need to study the knock sensor signals directly, and the "status_knocking" flag in the ECU. I have found it to be a very accurate indicator of actual knock as common sense would dictate.

Mike
Please explain. And please post this data you are referring to. Hopefully it's not proprietary. Do you know when time will permit? I'm going to Colorado in a few hours (for the rest of the week). But I'll check in frequently to see what is going on. If we can present contradicting data (to support otherwise unsupported statements), everyone will benefit.

Also, I'm a little curious about your findings regarding knock status since the logging rate of the BT tool is what, 20 samples/sec? And the rate of engine events at 6000rpm is 100 events per second. Seems to me that it misses a lot of the action. And I have data that seems to back that up as well.

I'm also interested with what you said with regards to ignition retard "reaction" with respect to nominal ignition advance. For a number of reasons because I've done quite a bit of testing in this field. Easy to do when our tuning device can actually adjust DME perceived nominal ignition advance. Looking forward to your elaboration.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0