View Single Post
      08-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #93
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourier View Post
A pet peeve of mine is when people compare Mac to PC. Mac is PC. If they mean OSX vs Windows, that's fine. I never got those retarded apple commercials about mac vs pc (pretty much point out problems in one system and ignore theirs). Even if they were talking about hardware, Apple had already switched to x86 (but powerpc was, as the name implies, a personal computer architecture).

I'm a full time linux user, since it's just easier to work this way (web applications). Windows is for games, and I don't play games anymore.

As for OSX, I'd choose it over windows without hesitation, since it's a bsd/unix derivative and similar to linux. I don't particularly like the business ethics of apple or microsoft (apple seems to be as "evil" as can be, or as capitalist as can be depending on how you want to interpret that). Steve Jobs was a marketing genius though, and the fanatical, irrational loyalism and religious devotion of many of its consumers is proof of that.

Mac's are overpriced, but you do get quality parts. You could get quality parts by not buying the cheapest versions of OEM Dell, HP, etc, and instead get the business or higher end stuff. It still will be cheaper than a Mac. You could also install OSX and linux on them (some OEM machines are better suited than others for OSX hackintosh's).

A lot of having a mac is a fashion/status statement, and there are a lot of people that buy them for that purpose. I know people who use them for functionality and things they like about the software, and I support their use of it because it's rational. If you genuinely like it and aren't buying because it's some kind of statement or perceived superiority, then choose the mac if it's worth the extra cost to you. Otherwise get something else that you like.

I've been using linux for a decade or so, but more and more in the past 6 years, and then full time in the past 2 years. The more I use it, the more I cannot even tolerate windows (they have to obfuscate everything and make it impossible to perform anything in a manual or advanced way).
Curious, what Linux distro do you run? I have a couple of Ubuntu workstations at work and laptop, used for work related stuff because it works so well out of the box with Windows enviornments and has most of the apps I prefer to use preinstalled. One thing I cannot stand though is Unity, I hate it! I've switched to Cinnamon which is a lot better but it still isn't a mature GUI yet IMO. Also, the one thing I wish Linux had is more robust support for drivers and installing software that are not in any repos.
Appreciate 0