jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
help diagnosing (brake?) noise

background: i have jic/cross coilovers and sway barbarian sways, morr alloy vs7 with ps2's

first there was a noise coming from the front passenger brake area. theres a loud metalic CLUNK every time i brake for the first time going in one direction. so i roll forward, brake *clunk* roll backwards, brake, *clunk*. i thought it was the suspension but i had all the bolts checked twice.

the second time, we took apart the brakes and found that the brake pad was very loose. when you wiggle it, it replicates the noise. the mechanic said that sometimes the pads can warp and clunk like that in cars with floating calipers. he says it does that with race cars and when the car is rolling, the pads will catch and fall, catch and fall, catch and fall and make a constant noise.

i took the car to the local dealer. they said my brakes were fine, and that it could be my after market suspension and that it would cost me money to check it out. i told them to take a hike, politely

so fastforward to last night. i havent driven my car in a bout 1.5 weeks. i am driving, it is getting dark, and i am making a U turn on this median turn lane thing. in the last second, theres this huge chunk of concrete in the lane and it was too late for me to do anything about it. i roll over it with the middle of the car, made a terrible noise, lifted my car a bit and then i guess my car crushed it.

so as i am driving, now, theres this *ClockClockClockClock* sound coming from the passenger brake area. not the same metallic clunk but more of a dullish thud. its frequency gets faster as i drive faster. it is independent of my clutch or anything else. but when i am hard on the brakes, it seems to go away. when i turn really hard it gets louder. when i am decelerating under engine load, it gets louder.

after a few miles it goes away completely, but after my car has been parked for a while (presumably when it has cooled down) it comes back when i start it and start moving again, but then goes away after a short while. after it had gone away, i back into my very elevated driveway and it came back as i was backing in (presumably caused by the change in angle)

so... do you think this is all related to the brakes? could it be strange coincidence that it started because of the big chunk of concrete? could that jarring situation have been the last straw for the pad and its doing that catch-fall thing described by the mechanic?

has this ever happened to anyone??

any help would be appreciated. i really hope this is a simple fix
Appreciate 0