04-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #51
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc247 View Post
So I just had my UUC SSK installed about a week ago (did not do it myself) and the mechanic had some issues getting the stock selector rod pin back through the lower pivot bore. He said the pin was just barely to large/thick - likely slightly bent from wear. He was able to sand it down a bit with sandpaper and was able to make it fit.

When driving I noticed that the shifting effort was greater than I thought it should and it otherwise seemed "sluggish" through the nuetral area but seemed fine once the weather warmed up a bit later in the day. I noticed similar issues each day - firm and sluggish in the cold mornings, but fine later in the day after it got warmer. In any event, I thought I better get the DSSR since the stock selector rod appeared to be messed up anyhow.

Fast forward to today, I just returned from my shop where they installed the DSSR. Now I have MORE lateral slop than before. Seems like an 1" side to side in any gear (had maybe half that before the DSSR). Furthermore, reverse is difficult to get into and barely seems to hook - the shifter will not go as far forward locking into reverse gear - it just barely hooks (if that makes sense) with lots of tension wanting to shoot back to center. It does not seem to go far enough forward in first either - like there isn't enough slack.

I will obviously be taking it back to the shop but would love some input on what the issues could be so I have some ammo to give the mechanic. From reading the UUC website the DSSR is supposed to nearly eliminate lateral slop (in addition to eliminate wear issues) - certainly not increase it. From other posts, it seems possible he did not get the yellow washers in, although that would not explain the reverse and first gear issues.

Any input? I will call Rob at UUC in the morning but hoping for a head start on input.
It sounds like you either have something significant wrong with the shifter install, possibly even the wrong shifter.

If I had to guess, something was wrong such as:
1) shifter installed backwards (I think the little screw head for adjustment 1/2 way up the thicker part of the pole is supposed to face forwards)
2) some bushings or bearings are knocked loose or missing
3) not enough grease may be on the pivot or one of the shells is missing

The yellow washers don't do much if anything for the side-to-side shifter movement. The UUC shifter is very precisely machined such that it fits very tight on the selector rod and that is what keeps it tight. Otherwise you need the DSSR (I don't have it yet) and maybe new bushings for selector joint.

It may scare you to pull the shifter apart but it's pretty easy- everything just pulls up/off. It might be worth your time just to take the trim off and eyeball it yourself. You might be surprised at what you find unless you have tremendous faith in your mechanic.

Good luck with the repair. Let us know how it works out and what the issue was.
Appreciate 0