View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #82
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by u170who View Post
You sound like you know a good deal about suspensions. Could you give me you're opinion? I am looking for the best bang for the buck setup and lowest cost for my '06 e90 non sport with stock springs. I am looking for better ride quality then stock and to maintain the same handling. I am in Brooklyn, NY, so have to deal with severely under maintained streets in one of the richest cities in the world. I also want longevity for the suspension. I am thinking about Bilstein HD shocks while using the stock springs. Watcha think? Oh, and peeps, if he wants to put a crappy suspension, let him, and let us all watch...should be fun, no? What's the update OP? How's the ride and your opinion?
I would 100% go for Koni yellows. I think you would find Bilstein HD too firm for the roads you drive on (which are similar to our crappy British roads!)

I really don't like the internal valving design of Koni FSD's and personally think they are a bit of a marketing product.

The theory sounds ok, but to obtain the ride comfort the damping is compromised in respect that the rebound damping in my opinion is too soft.

I've used Koni yellows and Eibach springs before on an E91and with the Koni's damping set at the midway position, the ride comfort was excellent. Really, really nice, on our bumpy roads!

Another advantage of the yellows is the ability to tailor the setup to your preference. If you fit the FSD's and find them underdamped, you're buggered, with the yellows, you can adjust until you're happy.

The yellows have also been around a long time and are a reliable well proven design which will last years. Again, if after say 5 years the damping softens slightly, you can re-adjust back to how it was.
Appreciate 0