View Single Post
      10-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #361
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I had made some enquires about the BMW security 'upgrade' as I expected it to be some smoke and mirrors bullshit - I forgot to post them up!

Via a reputable Indy with several main dealer contacts, the technical explanation of the upgrade is as below:

"Basically the software update is deleting the function of being able to open the windows via the drivers door lock (putting key blade into the barrel to open windows) due to car thieves drilling/breaking the door barrel to then drop the windows with a screwdriver.

Regarding the alarm issue, when the windows are down the interior alarm sensors change to a narrower beam(!). Because of this once the thieves lower the windows via the door lock the alarm sensors change to a narrow beam allowing the thieves to gain access to the OBD without the alarm going off and being able to make a new key"

This seems to confirm shortie's post 347 about the same.

What do you think? sounds like they're making something of nothing to take the heat off them, and its certainly not going to stop OBD robberies in any way as there is no change to the CAN/OBD/CAS system.

All smoke and mirrors then! So BMW can say "we dealt with it" and tick that box. Did anyone really honestly think they would fix it just like that? If they could do it properly without hardware changes they would have done it by now. So it looks like we're all f##ked!

Last edited by doughboy; 10-16-2012 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0