View Single Post
      12-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #99
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I have owned multiple BMW's and maintained them so I know that BMW does send you warranty recalls much like Toyota does. By the way I have had plenty of my share of Toyota's in family too and they go through their own reliability issues. Only difference is that a $20K car issues are much cheaper to fix then a $50K car.

Toyota's new cars have just failed brand new safety test crashes, they have had lawsuits filed against them for run away cars. They have had stranded their customers many times until lawsuit was filed for them to take corrective measure. Such was the case with their chronic sludge issues with 3.0 liter /3.3 liter engines that were leaving folks with nearly 50% of their cars price in engine repairs.

Here is a link of Toyota's issues with engines.

http://toyotasludge.com/resources

Bottom line is No car manufacturer is perfect. Some times they take corrective measures themselves and some time we as consumers have to force them to take action.

I am not on BMW side nor against Toyota. I would actually like all car manufacturers to offer greater and longer warranty to prove that their car is durable and will last long time. In which case BMW has superior warranty (4yr/50K) then Toyota (3yr/36K). Also, for what it is worth the original first owner of a new BMW cars has no worries as all maintenance and warranty is usually taken care of for first 4 years. According to research most new luxury car owners keep a car for 4-5 yrs and put on avg. any where between 10K-12K miels on their cars per year. Based on that BMW as a manufacturer is great for new car owners and not so great for pre-owned owners unless you go with their CPO extended warranty etc. It is for a reason that BMW is one of the fastest growing luxury car maker with regards to overall sales.

The fact of the matter is these forums are full of majority of those people who wants to drive a 50K car for 28K after 4yrs and then complain about lack of BMW reliability. That is like marrying a hooker and then complaining about getting sexual diseases......j/k

To be honest as of right now only manufacture to offer longest warranty and standing behind their vehicle are the two Korean brands with (5yr/60K comprehensive and (10yr/100K limited powertrain). So I think if reliability is ones main concern then one should show their support by giving their money to manufacturers that stand behind their vehicles with greater comprehensive warranty and maintenance. As of right now the Koreans have made huge gains and are also among the fastest growing car company. All thanks to super long warranty, lower prices, and nicer looking designs.

I believe 10 yrs ago I would have not thought of ever owning a Korean car. However, after driving them back to back with Japanese car their is not much give in quality nor feel. The only difference is that Korean offer cheaper car with more features and better styled designs that evoke thoughts of German luxury cars thanks to them stealing the Audi designer.

Anyways, I would love to see BMW offer 100K warranty like KIA. However, I am not holding my breath for it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek99civic View Post

Toyota actually sends out recalls for everything, big or small. Thats why they have so many recalls. They actually fix the parts or problems that a few of the cars the produce have. Now we all know how long BMW took to just admit the wastegate and HPFP issue.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 12-24-2012 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0